On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 14:52, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Anyone know of any good tools to use for checking your server for
> security holes? I want to check RedHat (7.2, 8.0, 9.0).
>
> I am especially interested in hacks for smtpd type hacks.

Are you completely current with Red Hat updates?  If not, get up to
date.  Even the non-security updates are probably a good idea because
I think the security updates are against the most current components
of a given distribution version, not an old one you didn't bother to
update becuase it wasn't a security matter.  Redhat is pretty
conservative about how it issues updates.

Nessus will do network scanning of open stuff.

Bastile Linux is a wizard-style script the looks for specific things
that might be better battened down--though I think it is too paranoid.

-kb