[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> >I too, have fallen victim to this problem--twice!  The first time it
> >happened, I had never heard of the problem and I kept re-trying with

> As mentioned before people have noticed filthy carts.  I lost a CD
> drive to dust pulled through it by the cooling fans.  This is just an
> idea as to why the internal drives fail.  I have used my external
> SCSI for 2 years with out any problems(knock on wood) except for when
> the carts are droped on the floor.

Having worked with computers since 1966 (and helped my father with his work
prior to that), I'm quite aware of the effects of dirt on computer components.
 The drive is not internal, it's external.  If transported, it's transported
wrapped in plastic (anti-static) and in an envelope of the bubble packing
outside that.  The drives stay in their covers.  They still fail.

This isn't just a problem with lack of adequate care by users.  Yes, that
occurs, and probably accounts for some failures.  Flimsey construction of the
drives is a problem.
--
Rick Forrister                 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Opera: Greek word meaning "death by music".
                --Anonymous