On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 22:11, Johnie Stafford wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 21:52, MKlinke wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 August 2003 21:21, Marc Adler wrote:
> > > I want to have fetchmail start up automatically, because as it is I
> > > have to type "fetchmail" (twice for some reason) at the shell prompt
> > > before it goes and fetches my mail. I looked at some of the scripts
> > > in /etc/init.d, but couldn't figure out how to simply write one for
> > > fetchmail. Is there a simple way?  I tried serviceconf, but fetchmail
> > > wasn't in the list.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >

> > Here's a script that works under RH9 for me.  It's set up as a daemon
> > that runs every 900 seconds.  If you downloaded fetchmail in the
> > tarball fashion it's a slight modification from the one found in the
> > contrib directory...
> >

> > #!/bin/sh
> > #
> > # fetchmail     This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
> > #               fetchmail.
> > #
> > # chkconfig: 2345 81 45
> > various
> > #              mail protocols and route them to the local MTA just as if
> > #              the mail was sent directly to the local MTA. This is
> > #              specially useful on intermittent dial-up connections.
> > # processname: fetchmail
> > # config: /etc/fetchmailrc
> > # author[s]:
> > #       Andrea Sterbini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > #       ObiTuarY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> <SNIP>
>
> Another option is to have cron earn its keep. Add something like this to
> your crontab
>
> */5 * * * * fetchmail >> /var/log/fetchmail.log

sort of what I do.  I have a once a day fetchmail cronjob that runs in
the morning for my self.  we only have a few users that need this so it
is no big deal.  ~/.fetchmailrc has set daemon 300 as the first line so
it puts it in daemon mode if it is not running and tickles it if it is
already running.  It only runs once a day :

0 7 * * * /usr/bin/fetchmail

Bret