On 28 Aug 2003 08:05:16 -0400
James Pifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi. I have a system (RH8) that has the following:
> (parted) print
> Disk geometry for /dev/hda: 0.000-38166.679 megabytes
> Disk label type: msdos
> Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem  Flags
> 1          0.031  20002.807  primary   ntfs        boot
> 2      20002.808  20104.782  primary   ext3
> 3      20104.783  22018.776  primary   linux-swap
> 4      22018.777  38162.219  extended              lba
> 5      22018.808  38162.219  logical   ext3
> (parted)
>
> I originally set it up as a dual boot for games on Windows. Since I
> never have time to do that and haven't booted to Windows in a very long
> time, I would like to get rid of it and make use of the space.
>
> Is there any way I can do that without having to reinstall RH?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Hi James,

If you're currently booting with grub it shouldn't matter
that this this partition is marked as "boot".  To verify
this _before_ reformatting the partition try the following:

Have a Redhat installation disk on hand and make sure you
know how to use rescue mode.

Use fdisk (or your own favorite tool) to change the boot
flag to your primary ext3 partition.  Reboot.

If something goes wrong you can use rescue mode to reset
the boot flag to the ntfs partition and develop a new plan
of attack.

If everything works as expected you'll be back in Linux
no worse off for the change.  You'll be able to reuse
the partition confident that it isn't needed for bootup.
No need to reinstall.

Cheers,
Sean