List,

I'm learning about low-permission and restricted users and groups. I'm curious about users like "nobody" and groups like "nobody"

What does a user like this look like? home? password? etc.

I have seen a user report recently showing the nobody user in Mac OS X as something like:

name: nobody
group: nobody
home: /dev/null
password: ?
shell: /sbin/nologin

I have poked around on the Internet, no good sources turned up explaining users/groups like nobody:nobody in detail, like how and more importantly "why". Hoping the list might have some insight as well as suggested best practices for creating a similar user/group for processes.

Thanks,
Tim