On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 08:13:31AM +0700, Gunawan wrote:
> Thank you for all of your reply regarding the upgrade kernel. I still need
> some help.
>
> 1. Could you explain to me  what is the purpose of these steps each?
>          1. make clean; make mrproper
>          2. make xconfig or make menuconfig (I prefer the latter)
>          3. make dep
>          4. nohup make bzImage
>          5. make modules
>          6. make modules_install
>          7. make install
>
> 2. I have download 'linux-2.4.22.tar.bz2' to upgrade the kernel.
>     What should I do now? I am new in red hat/linux and almost know nothing.

Since you've acknowledged that you are both new and know almost nothing,
I have to ask: why you do you want to upgrade the kernel in the first place?
The vast majority of people I've asked the question to think that just
because it's newer, it must be better, when in fact what Red Hat
provides is not only adequate, but in many cases better than the
"official" kernel.  Red Hat adds many fixes and backported features to
its kernel (I believe it's about 350 patches or so).  All of those will
be lost when you migrate (not upgrade or downgrade, but migrate) to a
stock kernel.

If the kernel you have works, do not install the stock kernel.  You may
break something without even a small chance of improving anything at
all.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]