Well, I have found what was causing the problems. I noticed that I could not access any of the ports from the outside. So I looked at the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file and deleted the following lines:
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Ethernet

Not sure which one was the problem and not sure why RedHat9 by default will have these problems. I use Gnome and it not only does these 3 lines, but it also puts in BOOTPROTO=none instead of BOOTPROTO=static and I found no way to change this in Gnome except to go to the command line and change these manually.

Thanks
Steve

At 10:39 AM 9/2/2003 -0400, Jason Dixon wrote:
On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 10:34, Steve Buehler wrote:
> I have installed RedHat 9 and sendmail will only work for me if the mail
> originates on the local host. I have edited the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file
> to read:
> dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> Then I ran:
> m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
> My /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file looks like this now.
> # SMTP daemon options
> O DaemonPortOptions=Name=MTA
>
> I then typed:
> service sendmail restart
>
> I have even rebooted the system and I can still not get it to except any
> email from outside. From another machine off my local network, I type (and
> get) the following:
> /etc# telnet 65.69.170.229 25
> Trying 65.69.170.229...
> telnet: connect to address 65.69.170.229: Connection timed out
>
> Can anybody let me know what I am doing wrong? It would sure be nice if I
> could get mail to my systems.

A "netstat -vant" should reveal sendmail listening on all interfaces
(0.0.0.0:25).  Have you modified your firewall (if one exists) to allow
incoming connections to tcp/25?  I see you're on DSL, but I'm not sure
whether it's commercial or residential.  If residential, are you sure
SWBell isn't filtering out incoming port 25?

-- Jason Dixon, RHCE DixonGroup Consulting http://www.dixongroup.net

dangerous content by the MailScanner at ow4, and is
believed to be clean.