On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:35:19AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have just installed RH 9. I want to be able to telnet to the machine
        but whenever I try it says connection refused. The configuration
        file for telnet is present in /etc/xinetd.d and the value of
        disable is no.

        As it should be.

        You are, most likely, not permitted due to the firewall rules
installed as default.  When you installed the box, if you selected any
firewall level other than none, it probably has that port blocked unless
you explicitly added port 23 to the permitted list.

> Could someone please help.

        You might consider switching to ssh instead of telnet.  It's
vastly more secure and it's more likely permitted through the firewall.
I think that it's either default enabled or I just habitually enable
ssh on the firewall at install but wouldn't enable telnet at gun point.

> Thanks
> Amit

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/