If this just started happening since Aug 28th, then it is something that RedHat did. Have you downloaded the new up2date from redhat as directed to on your http://rhn.redhat.com home page? They made some changes to the up2date program and you should have been sent an email by them telling you to download the new up2date rpm manually and install it. If you are running Gnome, you will also need to download the up2date-gnome rpm too. Check the directions to find out the exact file names and where to get them.
The following is what http://rhn.redhat.com says:

SSL Connection Errors

On August 28th, the SSL certificates used by up2date, rhn_register, and the RHN applet expired. Systems attempting to connect to RHN using an older certificate will receive 'certificate verify failed' errors. Please see the following instructions to download the latest versions of up2date and rhn_register.

hmmmm. After being on this list for a long time, I may have finally been able to help someone after all of the help that I have received from kind list users in the past.

Problem solved?
Steve