I've written a shell script which will create a new user, then create a .forward and .vacation.msg file in the new user's home directory. Within this script, I'm trying to automate the initialization of the vacation program - that's where I'm running into problems. I've tried it two ways.

1.  su $oldid
    vacation -I
    exit

2. su $oldid -c'/usr/bin/vacation -I'

Neither works. I receive the following error message:

bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied

I've tried running the second option above at the command line and get the same error message. Doing the first option at the command line works. Any hints on how I can get this to work? I've got to do this for almost 400 users (we're changing email addresses here).

One other related question - I read in a man page that if you don't explicitly set a password after issuing the useradd command, then that account isn't enabled for logging in. Is that correct? I've tested it and it seems to be true, but I wanted to verify that. I don't want these users to be able to log in to their old email accounts.
Dana Holland [EMAIL PROTECTED] 903-875-7355
Navarro College Corsicana, TX
http://www.navarrocollege.edu/staff_pages/dana/dana.html