VMWare is tightly dependent on your kernel version and distribution. I
really doubt when they make a release they do care about whatever beta
version is available. I'm not saying it won't work, but it greatly
depends on the changes of the distribution. So I'm not surprise that
apparently version 4.0.1 works on Severn while 4.0.2 doesn't.

They'll wait on an official release of Severn to make a proper patch
adjustment, if needed.

The problem may also come from a loaded module, like a driver for a
specific piece of hardware added in Severn or something alike (just
guessing here...).

Regards,

Yanick Poirier.