Thank you Sir,
I knew there was a way to do this and you saved me some time searching!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Wilts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 11:11 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RH 7.2 reboots all by itself

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:34:04AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a RedHat 7.2 server that has rebooted all by itself. There was
> no one logged into the machine at the time. The log files have nothing
> to indicate a problem. It looks like a reboot could have been
> performed at the console by sending a ctrl-alt-del. But the server is
> in a secure area.

Putting a Red Hat Linux system in a secure area with Windows systems
without changing your inittab is a sure way to get this to happen.  When
an admin walks up to a Windows system, the first thing that happens is
c-a-d.  On RHL, you're rebooting...

Edit your inittab to prevent this.  This is what we have on all of our
Linux systems (by necessity, ESPECIALLY if your Linux systems share a
KVM with Windows systems):

ca::ctrlaltdel:/bin/echo Ouch \!\! > /dev/console

> Sep  4 19:26:44 svlsrch1 sshd(pam_unix)[23682]: session opened for user root by
> (uid=0)
> Sep  4 19:29:22 svlsrch1 sshd(pam_unix)[23682]: session closed for user root
> Sep  4 21:53:26 svlsrch1 init: Switching to runlevel: 6

This is the smoking gun that somebody did do a reboot.  You're not
crashing - you're rebooting.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]