On Friday 05 September 2003 08:47 pm, Samuel Flory wrote:
> Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto wrote:
> >     Hello all,
> >
> >        I'm trying to figure out which one of these tools I should spend
> >my time configuring and learning for now. It seems like yum is the only
> >one still under development. Can anyone give me some insight out of
> >personal experience?
>
>   You want either yum, or apt-get.  Take a look at fedora or freshrpms
> they support both methods.
> http://www.fedora.us/
> http://freshrpms.net

YUM is command-line only and uses index files that are smaller than apt. It
has a chance to be included in Red Hat and the redhat-config-packages GUI
used as a front-end. Maybe. Works great.

APT is command line-only, but Synaptic is the GUI front-end. APT/Synaptic are
used in Connectiva Linux, which is a RH derivative. Works great.

Both YUM and APT act as smart wrappers to rpm, so really, under-the-hood, it's
rpm anyway.

Choose either  http://www.fedora.us/ or http://freshrpms.net, but not both.
Both support apt and yum. Both are good.

--
Hoyt