Sean,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Tried out mgetty and still ran into the same
issue with the login not being accepted.  Strange because both agetty and
mgetty work perfect when you connect PC to PC throught that same serial
port.  I think that somehow or another the connection through the modem is
causing the login issue.  Almost acts like if you tried to login to a *nix
system but the account was set up with a false shell.

-Bob

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:53:00 -0500 (CDT)
> "Bob Moran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I have a RH 9.0 server with all of the latest updates and kernel that I
>> am
>> trying to connect to remotely via a dial-up modem (have to do this as it
>> is behind a firewall that the client will not open up for any kind of
>> inbound connections).  I have tested the system and can connect to it
>> directly from another PC through a null modem cable and agetty session
>> without a problem.  However, when I try to do this same kind of
>> connection
>> over a v.92 linux compatible Best Data external modem I run into an
>> issue.
>>  I get the system login prompt for the server but every time I input the
>> username and password it does not go through.  I am not tryng to connect
>> as root so I know that is not the issue.  I have checked all of the log
>> files on the server (messages, secure, etc) and it doesn't report any
>> kind
>> of login failure which is also rather strange.  Any ideas or suggestions
>> for a solution would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>>

> Hi Bob,
>
>       Don't know what your issue may be but you should consider
> installing and using mgetty instead of agetty.   It comes with Redhat
> because it's more complete for use with modems.  Agetty is a bit
> simpler and smaller, but not as good when configuring for dial in.
> It's on disk number 2 of the RH9 release and even has an RPM
> to use if you'd also like to receive faxes.
>
> Good Luck,
> Sean
>

> --

Bob Moran