On Monday 08 September 2003 18:36, Marc Adler wrote:
> * Michael Schwendt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2003-09-08 12:59]:
> >
> > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:22:58 -1000, Marc Adler wrote:
> > > I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll start here.
> > >
> > > The problem: my computer is only downloading email from my pop3
> > > account when it's actually on. All messages that come in while
> > > it's off are sent into the void.
> > >
> > > My setup: fetchmail -> procmail -> mutt.
> >
> > Your description is highly confusing. So, you have an e-mail
> > account somewhere which is connected to the Internet permanently.
> > That server account receives messages 24/7 and offers a POP3
> > service. On a different computer (your client) you use fetchmail to
> > connect to the POP3 server in order to retrieve the messages. Now,
> > who polls your POP3 mailbox when your client is turned of?
>
> No one. That was the problem. But as my appended post indicated, I
> figured out where the messages were being sent: /var/spool/mail/root.
>
> > [...]
> >
> > Concerning your fetchmail daemon startup script, disable it and
> > poll your POP3 mailbox manually to debug your problem. Also verify
> > the contents of /etc/fetchmailrc.
>
> The contents of /etc/fetchmailrc are a copy of my .fetchmailrc,
> because I saw that the script was calling /etc/fetchmailrc, and I
> wanted it to send my mail to my mbox, not root's. All the "lost
> messages" wind up in /var/spool/mail/root, instead of my user's mbox.
> How can I correct this behavior? Should I change the script so that
> it calls
> /home/marc/.fetchmailrc?

Marc,

Just a quick thought ....

A couple of weeks ago you set up fetchmail to work by entering some
crontab commands.  Then, after getting that set up, you figured out how
to use the /etc/init.d/fetchmail startup script.  Did you remember to
remove the crontab entries?  If not, you'll have both the fetchmail
daemon running via the /etc/init.d/fetchmail script and whatever
command you entered into your crontab.

Regards,  Mike Klinke