On 08 Sep 2003 21:50:18 -0500
Bret Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 19:35, TK wrote:
> > Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> >
> > > I want to hold back certain packages prior to running apt-get upgrade.
> > > Can't seem to find the answer in the man pages.
> > >
> > > Curtis
> >
> > Latest Debian APT has a feature called pinning:
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get#s-pin
> >
> > However, if you are using apt-get on redhat,  YMMV.
> > -tk
> >

> add the packagename to the Hold { } line in /etc/apt/apt.conf  you can
> check it with
> apt-get -s upgrade

Hey Bret,

    Thanks for this tip, i went looking for this the other day and couldn't
find it.   The latest version of apt from fedora doesn't seem to mention
this in the man page or in the apt.conf file.  I ended up using synaptic
for the first time which is a very nice GUI but "hold" is what i really needed.

Thanks again,
Sean