Ok. No takers. I added a line to my /etc/hosts file specifying that
127.0.0.1 was localhost, and that seemed to fix postfix and NFS starts up ok
now. But I still have no access to the internet. eth0 boots just fine, too.
Now that there are no error messages at all but I *still* can't access the
internet, I guess I'll just have to reinstall. Being an ex-MS user, at least
it's a familiar routine... ;-)

Marc