On 12 Sep 2003 00:00:14 -0400
Jason Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hey Jason,

> My apologies for the being unclear.  I'm dealing with RHAS 2.1 (update
> 2).  But you're right, it's in kernel-BOOT.  It's the strangest thing, I
> *swear* I looked for that package before, and couldn't find it.  :-P

i think it's on the second CD so a quick check of the first wouldn't
be enough ;o)

 > P.S.  Does the following sound like an initrd or vmlinuz error?

looks more like an initrd problem.

> RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
> Freeing initrd memory: 673k freed

The initrd is never loaded.   Either it is bad or can't be loaded
from the media..  Perhaps even a bad boot parameter?

> EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> cramfs: wrong magic
> isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=09:00, iso_blknum=16, block=32

Just sad thrashing about as it tries to boot without the benefit of
a loaded ramdisk.

Oh, looks like you are trying make a bootable tape,  bare metal restore
perhaps?    I've never tried with Linux allthough i setup some HPUX
systems to do this (Y2K, sigh).    Not sure how you go about ensuring
that the initrd is loaded from tape*.    Would be interested to know how
you make out with this.

Cheers,
Sean

*  initramfs in the 2.6 kernel is tailor made for this because it adds
   the image to the tail of the kernel itself so you don't have to load
   it from a boot partition.  The initramfs tools are still imature though.