Cameron Simpson wrote:
> With GNU cpio you can use the --no-absolute-filenames option on
> extraction. I found this in the cpio "info" page (run "info cpio" -
> ick!) by searching for the word "relative". It was the second hit.
>
> Sadly, the GNU manual entry for cpio is the usual "we only speak info"
> useless travesty of a manual entry.

   I've been trying, but still can't get to like info either..

   This was not my problem actually.. what I wanted was getting rid of the
whole path and the -d option. Sean Estabrooks solved it for me this way:

pax -r -s '^.*/^^' < myfile.cpio

> In general it's best to make archives (both tar and cpio) with relative
> paths in the first place if you can. Then you won't ever have this issue.
>
> For example, instead of saying this:
>
>       tar cf archive.tar /foo/bah
>
> say this:
>
>       cd /foo/bah
>       tar cf /somewhere/else/archive.tar .
>
> or:
>
>       cd /foo
>       tar cf /somewhere/else/archive.tar bah
>
> (Note: _never_ put the archive inside the stuff to archive - it can grow
> forever because at somepoint tar or cpio will start archiving the archive,
> into itself!)

    This is very nice to know..

Thanks
--
Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>