Keith Birchfield wrote:
> Hello all, and thanks for previous help! :-)
>
> Can anyone give me a csh cheat to copy a file with a specific string
> replaced with another?
>
> For example
> copy foo1.txt to foo2.txt and replace each instance of "blue" with
> "red" where
> foo1.txt contains
> apple
> blue syrup
> green apples
> blue
> red grapes
> grapes
>
> and the resulting foo2.txt contains
> apple
> red syrup
> green apples
> red
> red grapes
> grapes

cat foo1.txt |sed 's/blue/red/' > foo2.txt

If you have in foo1.txt the text 'bluegreen apples', the above would change
it to be 'redgreen apples'.  To separate out the words as single words do:

cat foo1.txt |sed 's/blue /red /' > foo2.txt.

Or do man sed for further information on ways to do the search and replace
you are wanting to do.

   .~.    Brad Sites
   /V\    Systems Administrator
  // \\   Missouri Employers Mutual Insurance
 /(   )\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    www.mem-ins.com
  ^^-^^   (573) 499-4230