Am Sa, 2003-09-13 um 23.07 schrieb M Daniel R M:

> <snip>
>  However, I couldn't install the SuSE Linux
> 8.2 and I wasn't able to understand why one distro YES and another NO if
> the kernels were the same or very very similar, and these two distros
> were built and launched about at the same time. Maybe SuSe forgot to
> include a SATA support module? It was disappointing, but I've aswell
> forgotten that point...
> </snip>

That's because every Linux Distributor is applying patches to the Kernel
as they think it should be. RH has a great Kernel hacker named Alan Cox.
He maintains a Kernel line named ac. His Kernel is known supporting a
lot more Hardware than the plain vanilla you can download from
kernel.org. It also includes nptl threading, which is supposed to be
used in 2.6.

If you install the source of the kernel, rpm -ivh kernel-foo.src.rpm
you can look at /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES which patches are applied.

Greetings.

Also if you buy bleeding edge hardware, you have to wait till the Kernel
supports it. Or you can download a 2.6-testX testing Kernel and compile
your own one. As the Kernel hackers mostly have to find out for themselv
how devices are working, i think they make a great job.

But be aware that is no stable Kernel.

--
   ___
  /  /  (_)__  __ ____  __    -*- If Linux doesn't have the solution,