I apologize - I think that this might be a little off topic, but I know that
a lot of you folks are Linux experts, and I was not sure where else to
turn...

I am trying to learn more about kernel tuning.  Right now, my specific
question is "what does the command echo "4 4 1 4" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
do"?  I understand that (a) it writes the values "4 4 1 4" (without the "
marks) to the file /proc/sys/kernel/printk (b)which tunes certain kernel
parameters, but I have no idea what parameters it is tuning.  Having figured
out this much, I have googled on Linux kernel tuning and found a lot of
interesting articles on "how to tune parameter X"; however, I have not found
a definitive reference on all (or at least most) of the tunable parameters
and how to tune them.

Rather than ask someone to "give me a fish" by explaining just what the
.../printk file tunes, I thought I'd ask to be "taught how to fish", e.g.
for someone to nudge, push, shove me in the right direction.  Is there a
definitive reference on kernel tuning, and would someone be so kind as to
point me toward it?  Feel free to use the clue-by-four if necessary, but
please be gentle ;-).

Best Regards,

Jason Murray
Senior Design Engineer