Assuming you haven't had any luck with the other suggestions regarding
redhat-config-xfree86,  some things to look at (in no specific order)

1) Does your monitor def have freq ranges that would allow higher res?
Look in /usr/share/hwdata/MonitorsDB to see if you can find the info for
your monitor.

2) Is your card def complete. (Check /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards for your
card.)  Does it reflect the full amount of video RAM? i.e. is there a
"VideoRAM" line in the def. If so is it accurate ? Considering running
at a lower color depth until you get the resolution worked out.

3) In your Screen/Display subsection, list the modes from lowest to
highest.
e.g.  Modes   "640x480" "800x600" ...

X will start with the  low res which you know works. You can then step
your way up to the higher resolutions using "Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus".
This may save some debugging time. (See the man page for XFree86 for
other useful key claws"

4) "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace" kills the current X server.  If you're at run
level 5, you can quickly try different config scenarios by modifying the
config file then using the claw to restart the server.

5) Check out http://www.xfree86.org/

  - Paul