On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:39:52 -0700
"Chris W. Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Chris

> But how do you decide what's best for the poster? How do you know that a
> simple answer is more helpful to them than a more lengthy one? Unless
> they tell you outright it'd be really difficult to determine.

This isn't really a question about length of answer, more about style.
My personal preference is to give as much explanation as is necessary
to get started but not to try to write a book.   And when an example
can _replace_ a paragraph, then IMHO the example is the correct choice.
This just doesn't seem like the place to reproduce a manual.

What i was really objecting to is the notion that it's wrong to provide the
answer, that somehow it's better to explain in each post how to read the
manual.  (ie. how to fish)

> >> Should, but doesn't necessarily.
> >
> > That's really up to the poster.
>
> I agree, but the statement you made was not leaving it up to the poster,
> you were leaving it up to your opinion, so that's where my response came
> from.

Not sure what you mean here.

> >> Clearly?
> >>
> > Yes, clearly.
>
> Oh sorry I missed have missed the memo. ;)

lol,  consider yourself CC'd

> >> This is true.
> >>
> > Wow, we agree on something ;o)
>
> Yeah I'm the kind of person that thinks a correct answer is more helpful
> than an incorrect answer. But that's just me.

Then i'm not sure what we're disagreeing on in the first place.

Cheers,
Sean