--- Y-Z <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
> How about use the following two steps,
>
> 1. Boot Linux use "linux rescue"
> 2. input command "chroot /mnt/sysimage"
> 3. input command "grub-install /dev/sda", where
> /dev/sda/ is the boot
> disk with MBR. I suppose that u installed windows on
> /dev/sda

Yes, Windows is installed on /dev/sda while /dev/sdb
and /dev/sdc are raid 1 soft mirrors. But that is the
key term, they are soft mirrors. The grub-install
script will _not_ work with installing the MBR on a
soft mirrored linux install.

The error returned when trying to do the above is
something of the form:

/dev/md0 cannot allocate drive from BIOS

(from memory). After much more Googling with the above
error, I came up with the answer.

on bugzilla.redhat.com this is a known bug with
grub-install dating back to Red Hat 7.2 when it was
first logged with Red Hat in 2001. The bug has existed
since then from 7.3 to 8.0 and still exists in 9.
Reading through that bug report many asked why Red Hat
haven't fixed it for more than 2 years, the answer
was, Red Hat consider it a 7.2 bug and not anything
more.

Well, it's still a bug and the solution is given in
there. What I had to do was go into the grub shell,
type:

grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd0)

And it wrote the MBR to the Win2000 partition (disk).
I could not do "root (hd0,0)" as grub came back saying
it couldn't mount the NTFS patition.

I write this detail here in the hope that anyone else
experiencing this problem can search the Red Hat
archives and read on how to fix it. It was a
frustrating bug to deal with, and really, Red Hat
should have fixed it by now.

Thanks for your help and advice nevertheless.

Michael.

=== message truncated ===

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search