> > Check your log messages again.  Your post showed that you're getting
> > an "invalid host" error when trying to find time.nist.gov.  You can
> > either try their ip, which is 192.43.244.18, or you can use a linux
> > timeserver, such as ntp.tuxfamily.net.
>

> yeah that is a strange error:
>
> from my /etc/ntp.conf file
>
> ---- snip -----
>
> server time.nist.gov
> fudge  time.nist.gov stratum 10
>
> ---- snip ----
>
> hostname resolution is found:
>
> [etc]# host time.nist.gov
> time.nist.gov. has address 192.43.244.18

Noah,

Okay, I did some more checking.  Just because the host resolves does *not*
mean that it is actually serving the ntpd service.  You can tell if it is or
not (I think, since I can't find a man entry) by typing "ntpq <hostname>".
When I tried that on the time.nist.gov server, I didn't get anything.  Ditto
when I tried ntp.tuxfamily.net.  However, when I tried it against
clock.redhat.com, I got a response.  Try changing your ntp.conf to
clock.redhat.com.

Also, check that ntp is open on your iptables.  Try "iptables -L".  You
should see a couple of lines something like:

ACCEPT     udp  --  clock.redhat.com     anywhere           udp spt:ntp
dpt:ntp
ACCEPT     udp  --  clock.redhat.com     anywhere           udp spt:ntp
dpt:ntp

The ntp daemon is supposed to automatically open the iptables firewall, but
you might need to restart the service (service ntpd restart) to do it.

Ben