>  I'll step back in here since people seem to want to slam
>  tape.  I happen
>  to manage systems in a medium-size enterprise.  One
server alone has
>  3.5TB of storage.  For that server, we take weekly full
>  backups and plan
>  to keep (most systems are already there but this one
isn't
>  yet) weekly
>  full backups with 4 generations, monthly full backups
with
>  probably 12
>  generations, and several years of annuals. We're looking
at least 15
>  copies of 3.5TB of data.  This data is actually being
backed over the
>  network to a tape library in another building.  If you
can
>  show me how
>  to keep 52GB of offsite data and quickly swap disk drives
every week
>  without any application downtime, and do it all for less
>  than the cost
>  of tape, I'll buy you a beer the next time you're in my
neck of the
>  woods.  Using Rodolfo's estimate of 1.3TB costing 6K,
backing up just
>  this server would cost about $240K.  At 200GB per tape,
this requires
>  265 tapes.  At $65 per tape, we're eating up $17K in tape
costs.

we use tape as well (G-F-S backups) and it has it's good as
well as bad points, including jamming in the
tape drive and requiring a system reboot to fix the issue
(an ouch in my 7X24X365 world).

with the advent of recordable 4GB DVD drives and the ability
to setup Jukebox recorders
to use them, DVD may be on its way to beoming a viable
alternative to magnetic tape
as least for longer term backups (mag tape for your dailies
and DVD for the Monthlys)
Prices should continue to decline over the next two years
while record speeds increase.
At about $1.00 or less per raw disk in bulk, it is also cost
effective for longer term retention
requirements.  Anyone playing around with DVD recordable for
backups now?

They were playing around with the concept of R/W Optical
tape for TB levels of storgae back in
the 14 inch optical platter days, but I have
not heard anything about that Tech in years, so I guess it
has been tabled for the near future.
You might want to google on Optical Tape.......