I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, please let me
know if I should be posting this somewhere else and excuse me if this
has already been posted.

This mail is only intended as a warning to other users who might be
upgrading the Perl packages on their systems and use Apache and
mod_perl.

I recently registered for up2date with Redhat thinking that it would be
a great idea to keep my system updated. On checking for updates
yesterday I saw that there were security updates available for Apache
and Perl packages and here is the mistake I made.

My system previously had Perl 5.6.0 and up2date upgraded it to 5.6.1. It
turned out that was not all to be done and httpd refused to restart. The
mod_perl package which interfaces Apache to Perl still thought that I
had perl 5.6.0 and was looking for packages in the wrong place as a
result of which Apache refused to startup.

Obviously Redhat should have also released an updated mod_perl package
alongwith the new perl package for RH 7.1, which caused me some
distress.

Using a mod_perl update available for RH 7.2 worked for me.

-Vinay