redhat 8.0
kernel 2.4.20-20.8
rc.firewall version 0.74
iptables v1.2.8

okay iptables is complaining of a bad argument error. I am attmepting to
forward port 10700 using IPTABLES.  What on earth am I doing wrong?

I refered to the tutorial page for guidance:

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/forwarders.html#PORTFW-VIA-2.4.X-PREROUTING

copied the proper lines to my /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall-2.4 file

--- snip ---

PORTFWIP="192.168.1.69"

$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $EXTIF -o $INTIF -p tcp --dport 10700 -m state --state
NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

#Enable PORTFW of this port 10700 traffic
#
$IPTABLES -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -d $EXTIP --dport 10700 -j DNAT --to
$PORTFWIP:10700

--- snip ---

now when /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall-2.4 is executed I see the following bad
argument '10700' error:

--- snip ---

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall start

   External Interface:  eth0
   Internal Interface:  eth1
ip_tables, ip_conntrack, ip_conntrack_ftp, ip_conntrack_irc, iptable_nat,
   Done loading modules.

   Enabling forwarding..
   Clearing any existing rules and setting default policy..
   FWD: Allow all connections OUT and only existing and related ones IN
   Enabling SNAT (MASQUERADE) functionality on eth0
Bad argument `10700'
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Done.

--- snip ---