If you're working with Windows clients, my experience has been that they
tend to try and log in with whatever login info they have and/or prompt
the user for login info, which generally results in failed authenticated
logins instead of guest logins. The following in your global section:

map to guest  = bad user

will cause anyone who tries to connect with a username that doesn't
exist on the system to be treated as a guest login. Perhaps that would
be useful to you.

--Brad