On Monday 29 September 2003 07:44, dlangschied wrote:
> Chris,
> I have determined that ftp is not running.  I asked the IT manager at
> the facility to check to see if the daemon is running in the Gnome
> interface. He does not see anything remotely like an ftp daemon in
> the services list. I would assume that this is part of the Red Hat
> install.  Why is there no "ftp" daemon in the services list?  If it
> isn't loaded by default, I am assuming that it is available as an rpm
> on the CDs somewhere.  Would loading the rpm also add it to the
> services list (Iwould assume yes here, but just checking)?
>

> Sincerely,
>
> David Langschied

Do you just want to be able to move a file in/out of the remote computer
or is there are real desire at the remote end for a working FTP daemon?

Perhaps whoever set it up has enabled SSH/scp/sftp rather than FTP.  You
can remotely check for SSH operation the same way you checked FTP but
nmap will show, or telnet into,  port 22.

Regards,  Mike Klinke