dlangschied wrote:

I have a slight problem with that; I dont have a rescue disk.  This is a
laptop without a floppy drive and during install it would not let me copy to
the CD/RW.
I have it fixed now.  Is there any way to create a rescue CD?

The other emails are quite correct, but just FYI, I once had a similar problems, and what I found I could do is boot with different command line parameters. Booting to single user mode won't fix a broken fstab, but fstab is run by the init program. So if you skip init, you get a very primative system that can be used to repair.

If you have a bood loader, add an entry like:

title Linux RESCUE, NO INIT
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda init=/bin/sh

This runs a shell instead of the init script (init=/bin/sh), and is better than single user mode because it assumes a lot less about your system. You should check it out and make sure it works for you. If you don't have certain critical utilities on the root file system (like 'mount') you won't be able to do much though, so you might have to copy a few programs over to the root file system. You might also consider making a text file on the root system with notes in it about how to do some important things (I always have a hard time remembering the exact command to mount any given partition, and how to remount a partition in RW mode (they come up R only normally)), just in case you also manage to blow away your man pages at some point. (Don't ask.)