On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:25:43PM -0400, damovand wrote:
> Please note that I've never used up2date, or installed anything from rpm,
> being new to Linux, which is why I prefer to do a direct install.

Please go visit rhn.redhat.com *now* and register for up2date.  You
should also visit www.redhat.com and read the system administration
guide for your version of Red Hat Linux (I think you said it was 9) and
learn how to configure rhn/up2date on your system.

Red Hat Linux, as delivered out of the box, has security holes and need
to be very careful if you put an unpatched server on the Internet.

Once you've got your system configured for up2date, do the following:
# up2date -l
to show all all the updates that are available.
Then:
# up2date -u
to apply all the security errata.

When you register for rhn, you can request that you be e-mailed when
relevant patches are released for your system.  I strongly suggest you
do that.

Red Hat backports security patches from current versions of 3rd party
software (like Apache) into the current version they ship, rather than
just shipping new versions.  This ensures that no new features break
your running environment.  The disadvantage is that you might think you
need a newer version to fix a security hole when Red Hat has already
applied that fix.  Keep your system current with up2date and you don't
need to worry.

Many newcomers to Red Hat Linux fight rpm.  Let it work for you and
don't fight it.  It really helps a lot with dependencies and prevents
you from shooting yourself in the foot.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]