RPM is relatively easy to use.

rpm -Uvh httpd-X.X.xx updates an already existing installation from RPM
or installs if not there.

The source code route is more complicated, but you stay up with security
and bug reports better.

I usually move /usr/local/apache2 to /usr/local/apache2.X.X.xx where
X.X.xx is the previous version, install apache from source, then move
the web sites back.  It causes slight downtime, but it's safer for your
web sites.  I've never seen an installation corrupt websites and there
is no reason to believe that this will change, but I also believe in
data safety and not having thousands of calls to my office (-:

1. download httpd-X.X.xx from http://httpd.apache.org/dist into
/download (or whatever)
2. cd /usr/local/src
3. tar -xzvf /download/httpd-X.X.xx
4. cd httpd-X.X.xx
5. ./configure --enable-modules=most --with-ssl
    use --with-ssl if you wish to do https
6. make;make install

TEST, TEST, TEST

If you moved your web sites out of the apache2 directory, you can place
them back in, as well as the httpd.conf and ssl.conf files into the
/usr/local/apache2/conf directory.

If I have questions, I refer to Wrox Publishing's Apache 2.0 written by
Peter Wainwright (no this is not a paid advertisement, only an opinion
of a good book).  I would recommend this book to anyone new or pro in
the Apache world.

Apologies for the long-windedness. HIH!

--
Steven C. Gonzales, RHCE, MCSE
Louisiana State University              [EMAIL PROTECTED]