On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:42:24AM -0700, Thomas Frayne wrote:
> Is there a way to use up2date on RH9 to install individual packages from
> Rawhide?  Is there another GUI package manager that can resolve
> dependencies and install all needed packages?

No.  I don't expect that Red Hat will ever support a rawhide channel
since the operations are just too dangerous.  It's quite easy to totally
shoot yourself in the foot since a simple package upgrade from rawhide
could be very global - imagine if it required a new glibc, or if you
pointed a 7.1 system at the rawhide channel.

> Can I activate as Rawhide channel on RH9?  I want to upgrade Evolution,
> and am using the rpm command, and downloading rpm's manually to resolve
> dependencies.  I would like to use a better way if possible.

I don't know of a better way given Rawhide's inherent instability and
frequent updates.

Rawhide is supposed to be for people who know what they're doing and can
live on the bleeding edge and deal with a totally screwed system.  It's
not yet even beta quality.  If you make it too easy for people to use,
we'll have to suffer the consequences as people start firing before
aiming.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]