I have a sony vaio grx600 laptop, running RH9 with kernel 2.6.0-test1. I
can't get my cdrom to work for reasons that are beyond me.
-----------------
dmesg reports:

hdc: SONY CD-RW/DVD-ROM CRX820E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-RW  CRX820E    Rev: 1.5k
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/4x cdda caddy
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 5
-------------------

However, /dev/sr0 doesn't exist. I do have /dev/cdwriter which points to
/dev/sg0. When I try to mount I get "/dev/cdwrite is not a block
device".

trying to mount /dev/hdc I get the message:
# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrw/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

Interestingly after I do this, if I dmesg I get few more lines:
# dmesg
ide-scsi: unsup command: dev hdc: flags = REQ_HARDBARRIER REQ_CMD
REQ_STARTED
sector 64, nr/cnr 2/2
bio f7fda4c0, biotail f7fda4c0, buffer ec52f000, data 00000000, len
3755991007
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=32

When I try to mount sda, or sda1 I get the error, ... not a block
device.

I do have scsi emulation and scsi ATAPI cdrom compiled in the kernel. I
don't have ATA cdrom stuff compiled in...

Can anyone give me any pointers to how I can get this sony piece of crap
cdrom to work?

Thanks,
R!T