I have installed firebird and thunderbird (which work flawlessly with certs unlike Mozilla, Netscape, or IE or Eudora) and wanted to create a simple link to them on my desktop.

Best I can do is create a link to them using the file browser (or create a shell script...but this opens an extra window) and then cut/paste that link to the desktop. Using the desktop's launcher menuitem creates icons with little glyphs indicating r/w status, etc. The problems with the first two options is that a dialog is shown asking what I want to do with the file: edit/run/cancel, etc.

This s/be super simple, I must be missing something basic.

thanks in advance...

mike klein