Here's some grist for the mill...

I ran into this at Linux Weekly News. Here's the quote:

'The greatest danger facing freeware today is software patents.  When
the commercial software vendors realize that they can't compete with
the open software model on technical merits, they'll patent everything
they do and require licenses and NDA's for any interoperability.'

I have been concerned about this thing in the past. An idea struck me
as I read this, though -- which is the main reason I'm posting. Why
not fight fire with fire? Why don't the authors of free software
patent *their* works of genius, and use that to require that anyone
using their technology release the source (plus a handsome donation to
the Free Software Foundation <vbg>)?

Potential objection: the cost of filing for a patent (I have no idea
what this might be). Possible solution: How would Red Hat (or some
other organization?) feel about subsidizing this?

Or am I just wrong in thinking that the patent problem seems a likely
threat -- if not now, then someday when MS & Co. need it?

Burning the midnight oil,

Fred W. Noltie Jr.
Criterion Consulting
Coon Rapids, MN USA