On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Michael Jinks wrote:

> I'm not sure, but I think that the analogous process on a system-V-style
> *n*x box is changing runlevels.  Whenever you change from one runlevel

Not exactly.  shutdown -r does a change to runlevel 6.  The fact that the
system reboots cold instead of warm is controlled by the kernel.

I think reboot=warm as a kernel option will make this work.

Changing runlevels is as close as you usually need to come to a reboot
under Unix; by going to runlevel 1 and back to 3, you will restart almost
all of your processes (except kerneld, the stubborn one :) ).

> I don't remember off hand how to manually cause a runlevel shift
> (without doing a reboot).  The info is out there, though, I'm just not

telinit is the command you need.  Or just do init.  For example
init 1
switches to runlevel 1 (single user mode).