Gordon Messmer wrote:

Toralf Lund wrote:

I'd really like to be able to use this software *and* Red Hat 9/g++-3 apps utilising the same library functionality.

Maybe what I want is to put the libs on /usr/lib/i386-redhat-linux7/2.96 or similar...

I discussed the simple options... you may just be making one of those more complex than it needs to be.

You're not going to get the gcc 3 C++ libraries unless you compile your software an all of the libraries it depends on using that compiler. Your options, then are to build your software once with each compiler and end up with one set of binaries optimal for 7.3 (gcc 2.96) and another set for 9 (gcc 3), or you can build all of the software on 7.3 and get binaries that will work on either platform.

I suggest that you concentrate on the reason that you want to use the gcc 3 libraries.

I view this from the more practical side: The installation has gcc 3 libs by default. Also, if I compile using the default C++ compiler setting, I get gcc 3 code. If I use g++296, it will still pick up gcc 3 libs - not for libstdc++, but I'm using additional C++ libs; the Red Hat distribution has one or two in addition to libstdc++, and we also rely on some freshrpms stuff. This also applies to the runtime linkage when the software was built on Red Hat 7.3, although in some cases DSO versions are not the same, so you'll get a somewhat different situation (which is in many ways easier to resolve.) The question becomes: How should the setup be changed to allow build with g++296, and execution of gcc 2.96/Red Hat 7.3 binaries?

What do you stand to gain from recompiling with gcc 3? With that in mind, benchmark the differences between the binaries built by gcc 2.96 and those built by gcc 3 running on RHL 9. Whatever you hope to gain by your compiler contortions, you should be able to easily figure out whether or not it's worth the effort required.

But yes, it's a good and valid point you are making here. We should find out if we *really* want to use gcc 3 (yet)...

- Toralf