Are the other systems also running linux? You
        might be able to use "rdump" to dump from the
        remote device from the machine that has the
        tape drives. Something like

        rdump 0usf 100000 tape_server_hostname:/dev/nst0 /

        (see "man dump")

        We used to do this on our Sequents, but I haven't
        verified it on Linux yet.

     //\     --rich
    //  \
   // /  \   Richard Mann -- Network Administrator
  // / /  \  P u b l i c a t i o n  S e r v i c e s,  I n c.
  \\  / / /  Champaign, Illinois, USA 61821 (217) 398-2060 x22
   \\  / /
    \\  /
     \\/