I dont really understand the true nature of your problem,
you are not being clear.

But based on some assumptions -

ARPD translates IP addresses into MAC Addresses
RARPD translates MAC Addresses into IP Addresses.

They both use the same IP-ARP table in the kernel and both
get
their answers from the target Host system.
You ask for the Mac address associated with a certain IP
address,
ARPD broadcasts a request out
on your local network for the system with that IP address to
return
it's mac address. RARPD
does the reverse It might have been updated to also fetch
the associated subnet mask.
So they are only going to return what the actual host system
supplies.

All your affected systems might have to be upgraded to a
TCP/IP version that
supports IP Classless as that will always provide the true
subnet mask
as part of the packet header. I am presuming they fixed
ARP/RARP
to have this feature when they added in classless
capabilities
into the TCP/IP protocols The latest ARP table should
provide an entry for
storing the mask as well which will give you the proper
reply.
I would suspect that at least some of your systems are
running only "Classed"
versions of the original IP stack and are not up to the
Classless level
of code which added subnet masks.

I am assuming your network is a subnetted class B which uses
a Class C subnet mask
to split apart the Class B address range into multiple Class
C subnets.
You have the subnet mask set properly on each machine to a
Class C subnet mask,
but when you RARP the table, you get back the default Class
B subnet mask instead of the
assigned Class B. This means the source is either not
sending a subnet mask and your local
systems is using the default mask for a Class B or your
linux system does not have
a Classless version of the ARP suite.

It sounds like you might be trying to delete an entry from
the RARP/ARP table????

Xu
>  Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 8:54 PM
>  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Subject: rarpd & netmask
>

>  Greeting,
>
>  can rarpd give a remove install client ip address with
netmask?

>  I seems have problem with netmask because the ip address
is