On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Damon Andrew Wasson wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm  new on the list, I've just purchased de RH 5.0, and I got some pb when
> > trying
> > to  compile the kernel. gcc terminated with an internal error. My processor
> > is a Cyrix 166,
> > Perhaps should I try to build the kernel for a i386, instead of a Pentium ?
>
> To quote, from page 88 of the Rh5 user's guide:
>
> Please note: If you are building a Linux/Intel kernal on (or for) a
> machine that uses a "clone" processor (for example, one made by Cyrix or
> AMD), it is recommended to choose a Processor type of 386.
> (end quote)
>
> HTH.

But it doesn't say why you should do this.  I have  a Cyrix DX486/100 and I've
always used the 486 option for building kernels.  I haven't done this via rpm,
always from source + patch.  The kernels have always compiled and worked
without problems.  (I don't use modules; perhaps that makes a difference?)

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell           Using Linux - Windows-free zone
[EMAIL PROTECTED]