>From: "Moore Brett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: 2A59Ht5BC-00 meets ultimate doom..

<SNIP>

>I asked the question myself...when are, say, motherboard
>manufacturers going to sport the "LINUX COMPATIBLE" sticker.
>
>Do they even know what we want?? And what is it that would make an ideal
>linux motherboard anyhow??

<SNIP>

>To any who still think the idea of these motherboards being designed in
>consideration of win95 to be a rumour....check again. It's not hard to see
>why linux attempts to be bios independant, as a lot of bios updates that
>detail what the update actually addresses, discloses a lot of things
>'fixed' in consideration if win95 compatibility/install issues.

<SNIP>

FWIW in this context in an OS/2 user group I'm subscribed to there has
been much talk about the ideal mb for that os. A lot of people have said
avoid intel chipsets and use the K6 processor. Since Intel are hand in
glove with M$ your comments about the bios being 'fixed' could be valid.
Non-Intel mbs are not easy to find (in the UK at least) but the mfrs of
them could be a good place to start for your Linux-compat mb.

--
Using OS/2 Warp 4, Injoy and MR/2 ICE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Lewis)

Dorset Rough Riders Mountain Bike Club's head honcho.
http://www.dorset-rough-riders.mcmail.com

Races a hardtail S Works M2 in the Grand Vet category and hacks the trails on a Dawes.

OS/2: Windows with bullet-proof glass.