On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Michael wrote:

> libncurses.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Does this mean that I need a library called libncurses.so.4 ?
> if so, where can I get it and where should it be installed ?
> I have looked for this file in my filesystem and on the redhat linux5.0
> cd-rom's, but didn't find it.

Try this:

% find /usr/lib -name "*curses*" -print

One of the results I get when I do it is is /usr/lib/libncurses.so.3.0, to
which I reply

% rpm -qf /usr/lib/libncurses.so.3.0

and rpm replies

ncurses-1.9.9e-8

If something like this happens to you it means you should probably upgrade
your ncurses package.  Maybe others too.  I say

% rpm -qa | grep ncurses

and rpm says

ncurses-devel-1.9.9e-8
ncurses-1.9.9e-8

So I figure if I want to run the program I need to install newer versions
of ncurses and ncurses-devel, since it looks like they travel as a team.

Another suggestion.  Assuming you didn't, maybe you should try to install
bitchX using an rpm.  I'm pretty sure one exists in the RH contrib
section.