Since buying this asus sp97-v, it has been up continually since juicing it
some 200+ hours ago. Albeit running a PR166, it's performance has been
without flaw running 64Mb_real/128Mb_swap and 2.1.90. All cards, being
cl_gd5464;aha_1524;SB_16 (real one;) ;NE2000_clone(ISA) work fine, and the
onboard I/O composite works fine as well. The SiS_5598 around which this
mo'bo is based, seems smooth and compliant...and the inbuilt video support
moves graciously (and invisibly) out of the way once another is detected,
causing the rhl-5 install that was pre-existing on harddrives no trouble
at all..(all of same was installed & compiled on a VX board with the same
CPU), and nor would you expect any less really.

 I can hardly wait for the (promised?) X support to come for the 5598 chip
to >really< see what it's capable of. Before then however, I need to buy
another 2 mo'bos and I have a good option on another pair of the above.
Trouble is, I have heard shall we say 'murmurings' of disgust and disdain
when the name 'SiS' and the word 'linux' meet in conversations about
hardwares.

Does anyone here have any hard evidence against SiS in a general sense
(like with cyrix cpus)..or perhaps know the whole story?

 At this stage, I'd say the sp97-v/sis5598 was totally linux compatible,
even though the thing has the onboard (pffffT!!...read >in_chip<:) video
and shared PCI/ISA slot and other junk..

  ..and yet others say I'm mad to have bought it...what gives?

Cheers!

Db

ps..oh, trying to run the 5598 concurrently with another vid-card seems
not possible..running 2 video cards might work ;)