> Hello, everyone.
>
> >> My RH42 is not having a good morning.  When I powered up the system, it
> >> appears to start normally; however, when it gets to the "Starting
> >> sendmail: sendmail" in the boot seq, everything stops.  If I do a
> >> Ctrl-Alt-Del, it shuts back down and reboots the system....which of
> >> course stops again at the same point.
> >>
> >> How do I get past this error?  I haven't configured the sendmail at all.
>
> I don't seem to have the same problem with my RedHat 5 although I do not
> have a network connection started on boot-up either. Mine's a PPP dial-up
> connection. Thot the last time this problem was raised on this list, the
> conclusion was that the networking options were not set up properly (If I
> didn't remember wrongly). Do check your /etc/sysconfig/network to ensure
> that a proper hostname is specified for your machine. Hope that helps.

FAQ! FAQ!

When sendmail starts up it tries to determine the host name of the system it is
running on. If you do not have your local hostname entered into /etc/hosts, it
tries a DNS lookup, and this is what takes a while to time out.

Solution:

If you have problems with Sendmail pausing on system boot, make sure that your
local system name and IP address are in /etc/hosts.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5