> Naturally, I thumped my chest and said "Let 'em try," but I do wonder,
> if M$ did decide to go after the Linux community in force, what might
> they be able to do to us?  Anything?  They couldn't come to my office

I don't know if this fits your criteria or not, so I'll try it...

We're getting ready to sell some Linux based servers here with our
software installed. (Vertical market thing, you get the idea.) We've been
working on defining our "reference" machine and all that and it was
frustrating trying to find a "currently manufactured" ethernet card that
would work. In this case "currently manufactured" means the hardware guys
could buy it today and stand a good chance of buying it months from now.
They have a certain amount of brand loyalty which guides decisions and,
well I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Anyways, I had heard Plug and Play isn't much help to Linux but it hadn't
managed to affect me until now. We went through a number of cards before
we found one we could use. (Yes, I was using the compatibility sheets
posted at Red Hat.) I suppose if MS can encourage hardware developers to
adopt more proprietary standards such as PnP, Linux will always be at a
disadvantage having to play catch up.

I know zilch about PnP as you can probably tell. What does it take for
Linux to work with that stuff?

Bruce Tong
Systems Programmer
Electronic Vision / FITNE