On 29-Apr-98 at 05:50 Luis Membrado Giner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
   >In the first place, I apologize for contacting you without a
   >solution to your problem. What I propose is more an interchange of
   >opinions and experiences than anything else, and I have to admit
   >that you seem much more experienced and capable that I am.
   >I have read your series of messages in the RedHat 5.0 Linux mailing
   >list (it seems there was no answer), and I share your problem in
   >some degree. I have been using Personal Netware since Novell DOS 7.0
   >times in a small LAN accessing an HP-850C without problems. At
   >the moment I am trying to complement this LAN with the possibility
   >of accessing the MARS_NWE server included in RH 5.0, and things
   >seem to evolve in the right direction for the moment.

Dear Luis,

Thank you for writing me. As you noticed, no one has answered my messages
concerning Linux and Personal Netware. I guess every one is using MS
Networking, God Bless them all. :) I like Personal Netware a lot better.
It is less of a memory hog for one thing and seems to be reliable too.
I have been using RedHat Linux for three years now and I think it is
fantastic. It handles memory beautify, unlike any OS that Microsoft has
ever marketed. I use Linux as a serious workstation on a Pentium 100 MHz
system with 64 Megabytes of RAM and about 2.1 Gigabytes of hard disk space
allocated to Linux. I run MicroStation 95, WordPerfect 7.0, Netscape
Communicator 4.04, xvscan 1.41, etc all from Linux with little problems.
I have not had Linux crash on me yet. I wish I could say the same for
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 as well as Windows 3.11. They have been nothing
but frustrating trouble from the start. Unfortunately, the rest of the
world thinks otherwise and keeps Microsoft in business.

   >About your particular question, I have not planned to access my PNW
   >HP-850C from my RH 5.0 computer because I think it is simply not
   >possible. It seems to me that even if PNW can act as a client of a
   >NetWare server, it only allows access to its resources from another
   >PNW client but nothing else. If this assumption is true, your only
   >possible access to your PNW printer might be through a DOSEMU
   >session if you get PNW working on it. But I have not tried to do it
   >and I do not know if it is even possible or if it would suit your
   >needs. As an additional note, PNW seems to work using 802.2 frames
   >by default. I have no experience at all using Ethernet II on PNW,
   >and all the information I have about this frame comes from the "IPX
   >Howto", where the author states their compatibility. In any case,
   >did you try using 802.2 frames?.

I am not sure it can't been done. While you could run Novell DOS 7 in
Linux's DOSEMU, I am not sure if Personal Netware would work in DOSEMU
because there is no network link via DOSEMU.

However, as far as Novell Netware is concerned, I am not sure what the
difference is between Personal Netware and Netware 2.x or 3.x as far
as printer resources sharing is concerned. Both Personal Netware and
Netware 2.x or 3.x can be configured to use Ethernet II as well as
802.2 frame type. The only reason that I want to use Ethernet II is
it can coexist with TC/IP on the same network. I happen to be using
10base2 LAN without hubs or repeaters in my home. I have successfully
configured Personal Netware to use the Ethernet II frame type for
peer-to-peer networking in Novell DOS 7. However, the current Linux
ncpfs Netware access utilities will not pick up the Personal Netware
server for some reason. I have been seeing odd messages when I boot
RedHat Linux 5.0 on my Pentium 100 MHz computer. As it loads the ne
network card driver module and finds the Realtek 8029 PCI network card,
it displays:

   can't locate module: net-pf-5

three times and then displays the I/O address and IRQ of the network
card and assignment as eth0.

However, there is another message that is displayed after this, which says:

SIOCADDRT: invalid argument

where the network card is being initialized and setup by the files in the
/etc/sysiocfg directory. However, I can't seem to find what is causing the
"SIOCADDRT: invalid argument" message during boot up. This is making me
wonder if it is preventing the ncpfs routines from working properly to
detect the Personal Netware server on the network.

I know for sure that the Personal NetWare Server is working because I also
have Novell DOS 7 with Personal NetWare Client/Server software installed on
a separate hard disk partition on the Pentium 100 MHz computer. I can boot
up from Novell DOS 7 and access the 486 25 MHz computer and send prints to
the HP DeskJet 855C from the Pentium 100 MHz computer in Novell DOS 7.

Linux is set up to work with this network as follows:

# ifconfig

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          RX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:1C:00:2B:55
          inet addr:192.168.110.1  Bcast:192.168.110.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:37 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0x6000

# route -n

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref   Use Iface
127.0.0.1       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0       1 lo
192.168.110.1   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0       1 eth0

Pinging to these IP addresses works as well as to the local host name and
domain names.

The documentation in the IPX_Howto file seems to hint that it is possible to
interface to Personal NetWare from Linux using the ncpfs utility commands.
I have tried using the following command in Linux:

# ipx_configure --auto_interface=y --auto_primary=y
# ipx_interface add eth0 EtherII

which adds the ipx Ether_II protocol to eth0 without errors. Then I enter:

# ipx_interface check eth0 EtherII

which displays:

IPX Address for (eth0, EtherII) is 1C002B0C:00001C002B55.

to verify that the IPX Address and frame type is set.

However, when I enter the slist command in Linux to list the Personal NetWare
Server name, it says; "server name not found in ncp_open". I made sure that
the ipx address 0x00001c002b0c is unused on the 486 25 MHz computer.

   >I might be wrong on these subjects. If you have a different
   >experience and have time available to answer this e-mail, I would
   >appreciate any observation or comment from yours.
   >Sincerely yours:
   >Luis Membrado Giner.

Same here. I happened to be a systems administrator for a county college in
Northern New Jersey for about nine years. I have set up LANs in classrooms
with print/plot/file servers, etc. However, I enjoy learning from others
experience too. If we can learn from each other's experiences, that would
be great!

By the way, I have been seeing a lot of computer catalogs advertising
Intel Print Server Net Port Express Pro, 3COM Officeconnect Print Server,
LinkSYS Ethernet Print Server, etc, which allows you to interface any type
of printer with a parallel interface to a 10base2 or 10baseT LAN system
without needing a full computer based server. I have been thinking about
getting one of them to connect my DeskJet 855C printer to, since these
computerless print servers support Netware or TC/IP network protocol.
I was wondering if any one had experience of making these devices work
with Linux network?

Sincerely,

David Smith

Net-Tamer V 1.09.2  - Registered