  cc> I have had the same problems with X-windows, both Xfree and
  cc> Metro-X. I have experimented with several high end video boards
  cc> on two different monitors that have very high scan rates. I
  cc> simply believe both servers are poorly developed. I have ran
  cc> Solaris X-86 and the display is immaculate at any setting I
  cc> throw at it. I know someone who is also dissatisfied with the

So you mean that the mode timings are poorly worked out rather than
that the software is defective?    Take a look at the
XFree86-Video-Timings HOWTO.

I for example get horrible screen sizing when I run MetroX at
1280x1024.  This is because
1) My monitor is not in the MetroX monitor database
2) My monitor has memorised picture settings that are suitable for a
   hacked-together video mode I made up myself.

Now, I'm perfectly happy running at 1466x1000x16 (4Mb video memory).

  cc> I have managed to get mediocre performance with the metro-X
  cc> server at 1024x768 resolution with a Mill-II video board, except
  cc> I get screen corruption when the workstation sits idle for a few
  cc> minutes.

No experience with the mII myself.

  cc> Just curious, what video board and server combo's work well for
  cc> people out there? My biggest pet peeve is my display (I hate

Well, my old S3 worked fine with XFree86 until version 3.3 (now, I get
snow on the RHS of the screen).   My Millennium works very well
indeed.

  cc> sinking $1100 into a monitor and getting shatty performance, and
  cc> I wouldn't dare scale back my systems potential and install a MS
  cc> product), I would definetely be willing to swap out a video
  cc> board for crisper display and refresh. I love Solaris but Linux

If you want a crisper display, find a video mode and monitor
combination where the output dot clock is a lower fraction of the
monitor's bandwidth.   You may also want to try a better/shorter
monitor cable (though a bad cable usually produces ghosting rather
than blurring).  Reducing the dot clock will reduce your vertical
refresh rate, but many people will tolerate anything above about 70Hz
anyway.